Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Connections, Reflections and The Far Side

A really fine pre-work walk today in our sanctuary. We got to see all our pensioner pals!

Was greeted enthusiastically by Dewey who said "Hiya Sporty, it's another perfect day!"  "Sporty", isn't that just the best? Darwin excitedly greeted Bob and Dewey. Dewey commented that Darwin is always so happy.


As we made our way along the path we saw Rose by herself and I noticed Muriel hot-footin' it back on the dirt trail headed to the connector path to the main paved where Rose was waiting. Darwin dragged me forward after he saw Rose, but looked around curiously because usually it's RoseAndMuriel. He dispensed his kisses and tail wags then spotted Muriel. He got so excited he had to check out a ground squirrel hole. Happy to see RoseAndMuriel we said our "good days" and went our separate ways.


I realize during walks that I have spent far too much time internalizing Gary Larson's The Far Side. There is a perpetual commentary going on in my head. For example: if you were a ground squirrel and saw two large mammals headed your way, what would you do? I, for one, would likely stay still, hunker down and try not to draw attention. The last thing I would do is run TOWARD the large mammals and get within inches of the hairiest ones gaping maw. In my head these daredevil ground squirrels are re-enacting scenes out of Point Break perhaps sounding like Keanu Reeves? More often than not they sound Australian to me as I perceive Aussies as higher risk takers. The disappointment pours off of Darwin as the ground squirrel squeaks by and only so because I've shortened the leash at the last second. You're welcome, flea-ridden rats!!!


As we returned to the parking lot we waved goodbye to Muriel who was just driving away and hailed Parkie! Yay! We haven't seen Parkie for ages. He's the former mechanical engineer whose daughter works as a naturalist at Coyote Hills. I wish I didn't have to go to work as I would have turned round and meandered and caught up on the past couple months with Parkie. He's been suffering from asthma so he comes later, takes it easy and catches the rest of the gang on the re. He told me in retirement you have to still keep a routine otherwise you just go downhill. I agreed and told him I look forward to my 9am "meetings" being something on the order of a walk or coffee after a walk.


It's the little things that I'm grateful for... the connections through shared experience. I look forward to seeing these near-strangers each time at SGP and it makes me happy once I've seen them. I should probably tell them how much I enjoy seeing them. I just hope they don't think I'm a weirdo stalker. 



No comments:

Couldn't have said it better....


There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it. (Edith Wharton)

***
Life is a banquet... and most poor suckers are starving to death. Live... live..... LIVE!!!!! (Auntie Mame)

***
Your life is an occasion. Rise to it. (Edward Magorium
Toy impresario, wonder aficionado, avid shoe-wearer)

***
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she is in hot water. (Eleanor Roosevelt)

***
Be not afraid of growing slowly. Be afraid of standing still. (Chinese proverb)